The long period of the Institute's existence since its foundation in 1951 has been characterized by searching and finding trends of scientific activities in zootechnical research, application of new production forms and methods and profiling new generation of animal scientists in underlying scientific disciplines.
In 1953, the Institute has been moved to the premises of former Training Farm of the University of Agricultural and Forest Engineering in Uhrineves, which provided both suitable conditions for experimental work and demonstration facility for practical training of students. Thanks to the intensive activities of mostly young researchers the Institute gradually became a centre of scientific and research work in management technology, livestock housing, animal nutrition, breeding and reproduction in newly emerging production conditions.
Senior researchers were chairmen and members of special commissions of former Academy of Agricultural Sciences and with participation of universities and other research institutes; they took part in the formation of complex research programs.
The Institute and its scientific activities underwent the long period of transformation of the whole agricultural sector, from implementation of animal production in large farming units complying with the global demands to produce more, better and cheaper, to the new European model of multi functional agriculture. It involves quality of life, safe and diverse food supply, concern over animal welfare and landscape maintenance. Stepwise it also start interfere in more remote spheres as human medicine and pharmaceutical industry.
The Institute pursues international cooperation of a high standard and is in permanent contacts with world knowledge in all areas of its theoretical and practical specialization. It is reflected in gradual changes in methods of scientific work. Molecular techniques have become the priority without which contemporary research on biological fundamentals of animal production cannot exist. Results of research are successfully published in renowned scientific and professional journals.
Special purpose farm, experimental slaughterhouse, stables for physiological and metabolic experiments, feed mixtures-processing plant and laboratories with skilled staff and high technical equipment serve for experimental and research activities.
As of 1 January 2013, at the Institute worked 226 employees, including 123 with a university education (of which 73 researchers with scientific degrees, including 7 professors, 8 associate professors and 19 PhD students), 48 technical staff and 55 blue-collar workers working in the experimental farm and related operations.
The Institute follows on close contact with universities, partner research institutes of Ministry of Agriculture CR (MoA) and the Academy of Sciences of the CR, breeders associations and with the agricultural community. It takes part in pedagogic activities of universities and in the education of young scientists.
In the framework of the government Program of food safety strategy the Institute presides over the Scientific Committee for Animal Nutrition.
Data processing and testing methods for the application of the SEUROP carcass grading system, as well as providing professional training of carcass classifiers is another activity exercised by the Institute pursuant to the Ministry of MoA regulation.
For the MoA and other state authorities, the Institute provides expert, advisory and information assistance, amendments of methodical instructions and legislative regulations. Its extension and advisory centre provides services for agricultural enterprises.